Monday, April 6, 2009

I do believe the country life is for me! There is nothing more peaceful than watching the sunrise with a cup of coffee and the only sounds are the birds chirping. It starts the day off on the right note. My thought for today is:

Joy is the thank-you, thank-you, thank-you from the bottom of our
hearts that erupts when we are put in touch with what really matters.

Margaret Langstaff

I do believe that hospitality has fallen by the wayside. I enjoy serving something homemade with people that visit. It gives that feeling that you have gone out of your way to make them comfortable in your home. It can be as simple as iced tea, lemonade and cookies. I try not to make it too much work, as there is not enough time to enjoy the visit. I also keep a supply of things in the freezer for when I am out of something freshly baked. Nut breads, from banana to zucchini, freeze well, as well as coffee cakes. You can also freeze or refrigerate cookie dough, then you have freshly baked without the mixing time. I fill my cookie jar every weekend. I work in the baking around work schedules and school events. That way, I am prepared if company comes calling or my kids get hungry, whichever comes first. Here's what is in my cookie jar this week:

Snickerdoodles

Mix thoroughly:

1 Cup Shortening
1-1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
2 Eggs

Add and mix well:

2 -3/4 Cups Sifted All-Purpose Flour
2 tsp. Cream of Tartar
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt

Roll into balls the size of walnuts. Roll in the following mixture:

2 Tblsp. Sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon

Place 2" apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment